I was driving in my car the other day when the song “Mexican Radio” came on by Wall of Voodoo. Only problem was it wasn’t Wall of Voodoo at all, but it was indeed “Mexican Radio”.
Thoughts ran through my head in this order:
1. “I didn’t know someone remade “Mexican Radio”.
2. “I didn’t think someone NEEDED to remake “Mexican Radio”.
Don’t get me wrong. I love a good remake as much as the next girl, but there are definite, unwritten rules to the remake.
They go a little something like this:
1. Don’t remake a song that was already really good UNLESS you have something new and original to add to it.
2. Don’t remake a bad song UNLESS you can make it good.
3. Never let your remake become bigger than any original song you’ve done on your own. (i.e. Jeffrey “In Your Eyes” Gaines).
It’s not so much that this new version of “Mexican Radio” was bad. It couldn’t be. Because it sounded almost EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL SONG!
At any rate, hearing the song prompted me to research if there was an actual remake and it turns out there was more than one. The good news though is that I’m currently reading about some remakes of interest that I didn’t know about.
Got a good remake you this is worth a listen?