As you may have noticed by now, we’ve gone pink in honor of October’s designation as Breast Cancer Awareness month. As I’m sure everyone who frequents this site would agree, music can be some powerfull stuff and so can the influence of the people who play it. When musicians pitch in to help a cause, everyone
- Hard Rock International is selling limited edition Hard Rock Breast Cancer Awareness pins (US$11)and will donate all of the net proceeds to a number of international breast cancer charities including the Dr. Susan Love Reasearch Foundation. A number of world-wide Hard Rock Shows will also feature female artitst to raise additional funds
- Circuit City, XM and Pioneer have teamed up to produce a special pink XM2go inno (US$ 349), with part of the proceeds to go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Made in Canada, Haven, American Women -a trilogy of photography books by Canadian rocker Bryan Adams. Each focusing on women of strength from Canada, the UK and the US, respectively. Proceeds from each book will benefit a charity in each region.
- Keep-a-Breast.org will hold another of its breast auctions. No, not real breasts, that would probabaly be illegal, breasts that have been cast in plaster and painted by notable artists. The organizations mission is to educate young people about breast cancer and its prevention. Casts have been auction off at the Roxy Jam in France and various Warped Tour Stops. Appropriately, Pink will lend her torso to be cast this year. The opening reception in October 7 at the Receiver Gallery in San Francisco and runs until October 29.
- www.rk4cure.org has some of the coolest awareness merch I’ve seen. It has monthly auctions on ebay which also benefit the effort to educate young people about the prevention, detection, treatment and legislation of breast cancer issues. The coolest item (and you might want to get it quick, the website says there are only 20) is a Sire Records Greatest Hits 2- CD compilation tribute to company CEO Seymore Stein. The price is listed as US$8.50 and includes shipping! These won’t last long, artist include the Ramones, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Pretenders, Bare Naked Ladies,The Derailers, Pet Shop Boys and more…
- Download Melissa Etheridge’s “I Run for Life” from itunes. Ford Motors teamed up with Etheridge after her battle with cancer to produce an anthem for fighters, survivors and loved ones. (Come on, its just 99 cents! Even if you don’t like the song, do it for someone you love)
- Bowling for Boobies -October 9 at the swanky Lucky Strike Lanes in Hollywood. This annual event, sponsored by the Soroptimists International of the Verdugos raises funds to assist women experiencing financial challenges as a result of fighting and living with breast cancer. Go Go Jane Wiedlin has been involved for sometime and this year gave the 3 highest bidders on ebay the opportunity to play on her team, and yes, I happen to be one of them (expect follow up report) Team registration is still being taken, make a donation or just come on down to watch.
I hope you’ll take the time to support the fight through these opportunities or some other pink thing happening in your area. Breast cancer is the leading killer of women between the ages of 35 and 54 and if you know at least 8 women, chances are one of them will battle cancer at somepoint and your support now could help their fight later.